SURREAL ADVENTURES FROM THE SOUTH SANDWICH ISLANDS

Sunday, November 10, 2013

IMPORTANT NOTICE

One of my dearest blogfriends, Ms MJ, a nice Canadian lady author of the blog The Infomaniac is having a break and she hasn't decided whether she'll be back or not (before you click on the link, I must warn you that it's an adult blog, not for everybody).

The reason for that is a series of recent issues she had with Google. The last one happened a couple of days ago when she tried to log into Feedly -her feed reader- and she got a pop-up window saying that she should create a public Google+ profile to do so. In her own words, it was the straw that broke the camel's back.

MJ has been blogging since 2006 and over the years she created around her blog a nice community of bloggers. 3 years ago, her blog and comments disappeared unexpectedly due to some technical problems with Blogger. She couldn't use her profile to comment and she had to do it anonymously. 4 years of her life had been washed out in just a blink.


I was affected by the same problem at the same time and if not for the Infomaniac Bitches, that flooded Blogger's forums with complaints, neither MJ nor me would have our blogs and comments back. Only bloggers can understand what it feels like having your blog deleted and losing your virtual identity without leaving a trace.

When everything was solved, I was so annoyed that I decided to export my blog to Wordpress. Some months later, I left Blogland and deactivated my two blogs. Two years later I decided to continue blogging. I reopened this old blog, only to find out that Google is still a pain in the neck, taking advantage of its dominant position.


Due to all the abovesaid, I have decided to go back my Wordpress blog an continue blogging there, so I would really appreciate your changing my blog adress in your blogrolls and feed readers, replacing it with this one:

http://compendiodeescritos.wordpress.com/

I have also deactivated the Google+ account I opened some months ago.

Hipster Yaya has been recently attacked by the blogging virus and is pleased to invite you to visit her new house, full of glamour and southern hospitality:

http://hipsteryaya.wordpress.com/

I'm sorry for the inconveniences caused and really hope to see you all again very soon.


7 comments:

LẌ said...

Pleased to follow Leni and Yaya anywhere!

Anonymous said...

I can't be doing with these forced invites into its house that Google foists on one all the time. Herr Mago complained about it recently too. They've also got some kind of tie-in with YT now. No, I don't want to use YT under my real name.

WP is a little better, although they have the same tendencies. But yes, links will be changed in next few mins.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Leni Qinan said...

Thank you LX! Put a warm coat and a pair of walking boots on because it's a long way to the South Sandwich Islands! Yaya and me are preparing the kettle and the scones!

XXX

Leni Qinan said...

Dear Looby, thank you very much for changing my link in your sidebar. You're right, this was not just an invite but an obligation. It's the same thing in Youtube. Funny, eh? This is what I call freedom of choice. WP may not be perfect, I know. But I had to do something.

Take care and see you in WP!

PS.- I'm having a lot of fun reading your blog :)

sage said...

I have begun having google problems as one who uses a personal/business gmail account and a semi-anonymous account for my blogging. I may have to move it off blogger.

Leni Qinan said...

I hope you can solve them, Sage. There must be good alternatives.